July 10, 2013

GRADUATION CELEBRATION!!!

Yesterday we had our graduation celebration at DAS (Downey Adult School).  It was awesome to finally graduate!!! :)

BIG CONGRATS to my fellow grads and CSR exam candidates.  I'm really happy to be surrounded with a great bunch of positive, kind, and smart court reporters! :)

My hubby was able to attend and show his support.  I'm so glad he was there since he's my biggest fan! :)

Certificate of Accomplishment!

Proud Smile!

Celebration Cake!

I made little gifts for our teachers to show my appreciation.  I'm really grateful that I came to DAS and learned under their guidance.  

I also made goodie bags for my fellow grads.  By graduating the court reporting program, they have accomplished a feat that 90% or so of those who first start the program, never achieve.  So kudos to us!!! :)

It was so fun putting these presents together.  Here are some pics:





A BIG THANK YOU to my husband, family, and dear friends who have cheered me on and prayed for me throughout my court reporting journey in school.  This phase in my life will soon come to an end, thankfully, and my new phase as a working licensed reporter is just around the corner.  ALL GLORY TO GOD!!!  YAY!!!  I'M SO EXCITED!!! :) :) :)

Lastly, let me encourage those who are in court reporting school.  I know how frustrating and difficult this program is... BELIEVE ME, I DO!!!

  • I urge you never to quit.  If you never quit, you'll eventually get to your destination!  
  • Keep a positive attitude.  You can't go far with negativity, but when you're positive, open, and humble, wonderful things happen.  
  • Surround yourself with people who will cheer you on.  Stay away from those who gossip, malign, or refuse to truly support you in your court reporting journey.  
  • Set mini goals, meet them, and get an instant boost of confidence.  You should have goals for the day, week, month, and quarter.
  • Learn more and more briefs.  They'll only help you gain more speed, if you use them without hesitation.
  • Don't be afraid to ask your teachers for help.  They want you to succeed and they've been in the field for a number of years.  They know a tip or two to share with you, if you'll just ask.
  • Reach out to fellow students and court reporting mentors who are an invaluable source of inspiration, guidance, and resource.  We're truly the only ones who understand one another, so keep in touch.
  • Track your achievements and count them.  Pat yourself on the back if you raised your accuracy rate by 5% instead of beating yourself up because you didn't pass today's test.  You're inching your way toward passing that test, so you're going in the right direction.  It's only a matter of time till you pass, if you never quit trying.
  • Have a life outside of court reporting.  Sometimes we can get so focused and overwhelmed with passing a speed, that we have too much tunnel vision and then suffer from it.  What kept me sane was going out to movies with my hubby, getting creative with photos, cakes, and presents, and hanging out with good friends.  Find your balance.  Often when I'm relaxed, I do much better in class. 

Anyway, those are some tips I can think of offhand.  If you ever need more specific encouragement, please never hesitate to email me at StenoNerd@gmail.com.  One of the biggest reasons I have this blog is to help fellow court reporters out there... because I've been helped by others, too.  Let's keep this wheel of court reporting love turning. :)

No comments:

By: VintageVerses of Etsy.com