August 18, 2011

AUGUST TO NEW YEAR 2012 GOALS

We get 2 weeks of Summer Vacay at our school.  Yay!


My goals for these 2 weeks of Summer Break are to:
  • Complete all freelance intern hours (I have my official intern hours done already, thankfully) 
  • Practice this combo each day: 1) Common words, 2) Briefs, 3) 200-240 WPM, 4) 180-200 WPM, 5) Read back, 6) Finger drills, 7) Theory, 8) Briefs.

Once back in school, my SEPTEMBER 2011 TO NEW YEAR 2012 GOALS are to:
  • Go to every 180, 200, 225, and 240 WPM 2V and 4V class
  • Transcribe and grade each take and keep a record of my error rate
  • Practice this combo each day: 1) Common words, 2) Briefs, 3) 200-240 WPM, 4) 180-200 WPM, 5) Read back, 6) Finger drills, 7) Theory, 8) Briefs.

BOTTOM LINE GOAL: Pass my 180 4V, 200 4V at 5 mins., and 200 4V at 10 mins. by end of year and get into Qualifiers!


GOTTA WORK HARD!!!  IT'S POSSIBLE!!!

4 comments:

Mary said...

Hi, I am a CR student in bay area. I am currently trying to pass my 150's, and I am always trying to figure out the most effective way to practice. I like your combo, but can you advise how long you spend on each section.

I would appreciate any advice you have, and I love checking in on your blog.

Christine StenoNerd said...

Hi, Mary.

Thanks so much for your comment and question. I'm honored that you follow my blog. :)

Well, my practice combo is my targeted goal to hit each day. Unfortunately, because of time and other obligations, I don't hit my targeted goal every single day... but I *DO* make it a point to be on my machine daily, even if it's only for 10 minutes. 10 minutes of practice is better than none!

Here is how long I practice on each leg (approximately):

1) Common words = 5 minutes
2) Briefs = 20 minutes
3) 200-240 WPM = 45 minutes
4) 180-200 WPM = 45 minutes
5) Read back = 20 minutes
6) Finger drills = 5 minutes
7) Theory = 45 minutes
8) Briefs = 20 minutes

Here is the link to the common words I practice: http://web1.d25.k12.id.us/home/curriculum/fuw.pdf

Here is the link to my steno briefs: http://stenonerd.blogspot.com/p/my-steno-briefs.html

Here is the link to the Theory book I am studying from: http://www.amazon.com/StenoMaster-Theory-Mark-Kislingbury/dp/0976193507/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1314076073&sr=1-1

Here is the link to the speed-building DVD's I practice to: http://www.courtreportingdvds.com/

I hope this info helped. All the best to you, Mary! Please let me know if I can help out in any further way!

Mary said...

Hi,

Thanks for the info and the links. I am going to try incorporating this schedule. Fall semester just started, and I feel a little overwhelmed with my academic classes. I need to remember they are just as important to passing the CSR.

Good luck on two voice!

Christine StenoNerd said...

Thanks again, Mary! All the best to you this Fall semester - academic and steno classes!

By the way, it's not two voice... it's four voice. More fun, haha!

By: VintageVerses of Etsy.com