Here you go... and thank you, Cindy, for sharing this! :)
20 TIPS FOR STAYING POSITIVE
Yesterday I was asked how I stay ‘up’ all the time; what my ‘secret’ to staying focused, motivated, positive and productive is. As I began to launch into some mind-numbing monologue of an answer, I stopped myself mid sentence. I told her (hello Grace) that I would answer her question in a brief (no really, I can do it) post today. So here it is; the pr’ecis version of how I personally stay ‘up’ most of the time.
1. I hang out with like-minded people who energize me and I avoid the energy vampires.
2. I learn from, and get inspired by, successful people.
3. I ask myself the right kind of questions – the “what can I learn from this experience” questions, rather than the “why does this happen to me” questions.
4. I regularly get excited about possibilities – sometimes too excited!
5. I don’t focus on negatives – I invest my emotional energy where it will give me the best return.
6. I change the stuff I can and I let go of the stuff I have no control over.
7. I am constantly setting goals. Big and small.
8. I dedicate time every day to ‘switching off’ and having fun for fun’s sake. Strategic silliness.
9. I express myself creatively. It makes me happy.
10. I let myself dream. Sometimes my mind keeps me awake all night!
11. I invest time into others. People who are completely self-focused tend to have more downs than ups.
12. Whatever most people my age do, I try and avoid.
13. I regularly take stock of my life and consciously appreciate everything in it and about it. I am always acutely aware that my life is great and that I am blessed to be where I am.
14. I set high standards for myself. I want to be exceptional and do exceptional things, and I will. Not because I’m particularly talented, but because I am prepared to work harder than most. I love to explore and push the boundaries of my potential.
15. I love swimming against the tide. I love doing what most people don’t or won’t. I love being unconventional and throwing ‘logic’ out the window (now and then). Sometimes logic is a synonym for fear and ignorance.
16. I look after myself physically. I don’t smoke, drink or use drugs and I never have. Ever. Being physically fit and healthy, helps me stay focused on a mental, emotional and creative level. It’s very hard to be ‘up’ when you’re physically unwell.
17. My self-talk is positive. I don’t beat myself up. I don’t feel sorry for myself and I don’t indulge in ‘pity parties’.
18. I get great feedback and support from lots of amazing people – like you. Thanks.
19. I keep stimulated and challenged by doing lots of different stuff! I thrive on variety and change – private coaching, corporate speaking, professional writing, TV, radio, blogging, business coaching and every so often, I make an appearance at my gyms. If I had to do the same thing day in, day out, I would be in trouble. I have made a career out of my passion. I get paid to do what I love.
20. I spend quiet time alone recharging my batteries. No phone, no internet, no TV, no people, no noise, no distractions. I connect with the fat eight year-old for a while and see what he has to tell me. Sometimes the only person we don’t listen to is ourselves.
See, that was short and sweet. I knew I could do it.