June 21, 2009

I THINK I HAVE CARPAL TUNNEL SYNDROME

I think I have carpal tunnel syndrome. :|
I'm writing this post on Sunday night. Late last Thur

CarpusImage via Wikipedia

sday night, my left hand started to tingle and feel numb. All day Friday it was the same, but I brushed it off, thinking that I was probably just feeling tired because of sleeping very late the past few nights. But then Saturday came, and my left hand was still tingling and numb. I finally researched online Saturday morning... and all the symptoms point to CARPAL TUNNEL SYNDROME!!! At first, I admit... I panicked. I got scared. I cried. I thought of the worst possible scenario... that I'd actually lose my hand!!! Then what would I do with a court reporting career, right?! But I really doubt that would happen!!! The articles I researched on the Internet all say that carpal tunnel is very common actually. And it's a great thing that I'm catching it early to do as much damage control as possible! I found this article to be especially helpful -- http://www.ehow.com/how_5046401_treat-hand-tingling-numbness.html That Saturday morning, I sent an email to my employer notifying them that I believe I've developed carpal tunnel syndrome. I asked that they please help me by purchasing the following for my workstation: - A SMALLER MONITOR, so I can push the keyboard away from me and actually be able to rest my forearms on the desk. I currently have a ginormous monitor, and my forearms are dangling mid-air! (BTW, I do billing! Therefore, I'm constantly on the computer doing data entry!) - AN ERGONOMIC KEYBOARD. I already bought myself an ergonomic mouse that I use. Now I obviously need the keyboard as well.

A splint can keep the wrist straight.Image via Wikipedia

- A WRIST SPLINT. This would be the cheapest item on the list, but I'm sure would also help a great deal in helping my wrist, hand, and forearm stay as straight as possible. - A NEW CHAIR, so I can pull it more upward and to be more parallel to my desk. The chair I currently have inches its way down every time I sit on it. On Saturday night, I rested my left hand on an ice pack. It was so cold, but I kept my hand there for 2-3 hours. The next morning (today), I woke up and my wrist was NOT tingling anymore! But throughout the day, especially as I was driving and on my computer, my left hand would start to tingle again. PRAY FOR ME!!! I'm doing all I can for now to prevent or do as much damage control to this presumptive carpal tunnel syndrome I have. Next Step: See a doctor! I'll update again when i know more! (Jeremiah 29:11)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I definitely can feel your pain, literally. I myself am a court reporting student and I too am having issues with carpal tunnel. The director for my program at the school I attend advised me yesterday that I should drop out before its too late and I end up wasting my money.
I was surprised to be told this esp. From a director. I started to do some research on the internet to see if it is unheard of and if it is actually impossible. Thanks!

Unknown said...

I am worried that I have, or will soon have Carpel Tunnel Syndrome. One of my best friends is deaf, so I sign all the time. I never would have thought that signing would have such an impact on your wrist! Anyways, I wonder if wearing a brace would be able to help support it.

http://www.classichealth.com/wecs.php?store=&content=services.html

By: VintageVerses of Etsy.com